Thursday, November 5, 2015

Out of Standard - Remember, Remember

Guy Fawkes mask. Image courtesy of photobucket


Greetings Garden Dwellers!

Welcome back to Out of Standard, where I will set before you a challenge to defy the conventions of a particular theme.  I will call upon you to write out of the standard and find new places in the everyday.  It is in that spirit in which I present November’s challenge...

REMEMBER, REMEMBER

For those not in the know: on the evening of November 5, 1605, a small group of rebels attempted to assassinate King James and his advisors by placing a cache of explosives under the House of Lords.  The plot was not successful, and the man caught guarding the explosives , Guy Fawkes, was immediately arrested and soon executed.  

Ever since England, and other countries across the globe have celebrated November 5 as Guy Fawkes Night.  Sometimes thought as a precursor to Thanksgiving, bonfires are lit on the evening of November 5 and effigies of Fawkes are burned as a way to celebrate all the things that never happened. 

Fawkes is a somewhat derisive figure.  Many activists embrace him as a symbol of change.  Others have branded Fawkes and his collaborators as terrorists.  Worry not, toads, for today’s challenge is not about Fawkes himself, but the centuries old holiday that has sprouted up in his name. 

THE CHALLENGE

In the spirit of Guy Fawkes Night, I call upon you to write a poem which celebrates something that never happened.  I’ll let you interpret that however you want.  Feel free to get as creative as you want...maybe even have yourself a cheerful bonfire to boot! 

KEEP IN MIND 

Like every challenge, your poem must by newly written for this challenge and not one which you have previously written which conveniently fits the theme.  

So go now, my muddy buddies, and bring us back something shiny and new.  







13 comments:

hedgewitch said...

Just wrote a poem about something that never actually happened. It figures. Great challenge though, Izy.

brudberg said...

I hope my poem will happen... I think though my dreams have to tell me a little.. Great idea.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Guy Fawkes night is still observed in South Africa, with fireworks, a mere tradition, and seriously out-dated in my opinion. I like your angle on celebrating something that didn't happen. Should give rise to some interesting poems.
Thanks Izy.

Buddah Moskowitz said...

Thank you for the challenge, Isadore. Guy Fawkes Day is alluded to in John Lennon's song from 1970 "Remember." Cheers!

grapeling said...

Izy, can't say it's quite a celebration, but an observation, at least. Thanks for the prompt ~

Susie Clevenger said...

What a great challenge!!

Fireblossom said...

Leave it to Mosky to enlighten me. I have wondered for years what John Lennon was on about with the 5th of November.

Anonymous said...

gruye, nice theme.

Hannah said...

Thank you, Izy!! This was fun...happy weekend to everyone. :)

Margaret said...

Please tell me mine is NOT a lone experience. :)

Isadora Gruye said...

Wow everyone brought out there best for this challenge. I enjoyed reading every last one....and no Margaret....yours is not a lone experience :) Off to finish mine now! Viva la

Carol Campbell said...

I liked this one a lot. It was fun to imagine something I would have wished to see happen!

Gillena Cox said...

i used my fun approach for this one, Nice prompt

much love...