Thursday, January 26, 2017

Get Listed!

Greetings to all Toads, poets and friends. I am standing in for Grapeling today and have been scratching my head for a source of words to inspire the muse in the latter half of the week. In the end, I have set my sights on the work of William Butler Yeats, simply because his poetry has given rise to several titles of novels, by famous authors.

Fair Use

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy takes its title from the first line of Yeats’ “Sailing to Byzantium”:

That is no country for old men. The young
In one another's arms, birds in the trees,
—Those dying generations—at their song...



Fair Use


Nigerian author, Chinua Achebe’s acclaimed 1958 novel takes its title from Yeats’ poem The Second Coming:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world...
                                                                                                      Source

For this challenge, I have selected a few distinctive words from each poem. Use a minimum of THREE words (or derivatives) in a new poem on a subject of your choice. Additionally, you may choose further words from these two sources.

The List

neglect
country
monuments
tatter
holy
gyre
artifice
drowsy

anarchy
centre (center)
tide
waste
desert
pitiless
ceremony
innocence








11 comments:

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Loved the prompt, Kerry ❤️ I chose to incorporate the words "holy", "tide" and "innocence" into my poem. Happy Thursday everyone!❤️

Jim said...

This was a fun prompt write, Kerry. Thank you. I used desert, gyre, and innocence. Strange combinstion? Gyre became an addition to my country vocabulary. For me it will beinteresting to see who all used and in what context 'innocence was used.
..

Marian said...

I love this prompt, Kerry. Will try to participate but I'm guessing it will be on the weekend. xoxoxxo to all!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I decided to use all the words, thinking the result would be playful and perhaps nonsensical – but it turned out quite serious instead. Blame it on Yeats!

said...

You know I'm always game for a word list, girl. ;)

brudberg said...

Joining late with the smallest of poems...

Susie Clevenger said...

Great prompt and list Kerry!

Anonymous said...

An eclectic choice from an inspiring source - thank you Kerry but the title of my contribution will give a clue as to why I may not be as courteous a blog visitor as I should be for a while

Outlawyer said...

Hi Kerry-- I'm a little late--great prompt. k.

Angie said...

Kerry, don't know how your prompt slipped by my radar...but here's a late entry from me

Fireblossom said...

*shows up late with angie*