Saturday, January 14, 2017

Inside the Ink (Poetry and Flash Fiction with Magaly)


Write a three-stanza poem, or a very short story (313 words or fewer).

I just reread the first book I finished in 2017: The Ink Dark Moon: Love Poems by Ono no Komachi and Izumi Shikibu, Women of the Ancient Court of Japan. I tend to allow several months (often a year) before picking up a book I’ve already read. But this tanka anthology, and its history, gripped me. The poetry is suggestive, playful, sad, loving, happy… just like life—my reading journal is bursting with quotes.

This week, I invite you to take a quote from the last book you read, and turn it into a new three-stanza poem or a very short story (of 313 words or fewer). Dance with the quote, laugh with it… cry with it—make us feel what the words made you feel. Please share the book quote and title.

After you are done, feed the direct link to your entry to Mr. Linky. Visit other Toads.

 Detail from the cover of The Ink Dark Moon.

13 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

I'm very excited to see what everyone crafts for this prompt. And, of course, about adding to my reading list... as a result. :-)

Kerry O'Connor said...

Great springboard for writing. Thanks, Magaly!

Magaly Guerrero said...

Glad you think so, Kerry. :-)

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Fabulous prompt, Magaly ❤️ sharing my bit. Happy Sunday y'all

brudberg said...

Always good with quotes.. been busy a couple of days, and need to edit a short story this weekend. Our next book will be released later this spring.

Kim M. Russell said...

I enjoyed this prompt so much, Magaly. I was worried about getting into the swing of writing again but you've given me a great way back in. Thank you. xx

Gillena Cox said...

Lovely prompt Magaly

I used the form - puente; hope you folks like this one. I enjoyed writing it. This the puente, is 2nd version of one new poem. I posted the second version rather than the first

much love...

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Cool prompt, Magaly. And I adored your response!

Anonymous said...

this was just what i needed to write something not planned out, great idea!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Great prompt! The last book I read was a little different from my usual fare (and a new passion).

Theresa Milstein said...

I like this idea. I'm going to try it.

I have a friend who loves writing tanka.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh, I seem to have forgotten to post my link! Done now, hope some of you see it.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Thanks so much for joining in the fun, everyone.