Thursday, April 20, 2017

Fireblossom Friday : Corvid and sit a while.

Today I'm asking you to write a poem involving a crow, or crows. They happen to be my totem animal, and I adore them, but even if you don't like crows, they make wonderful fodder for writing.

As most of you know, a group of crows is called a "murder" of crows. Crows are often used in literature and films to convey a sense of foreboding or death. But crows are extremely intelligent birds who can figure out complex tasks--like using a stick to help them retrieve a piece of food--and they can distinguish individual human faces so that they know who is a friend and who to avoid. If you feed crows, they will sometimes bring trinkets and shiny objects to leave as gifts for you. 

So, write about crows, or from the point of view of a crow, or use them as metaphors. Just write about crows! New poems only. You can write haiku if you want, but crows will come and peck your eyes out, and I won't feel one bit sorry for you.

8 comments:

hedgewitch said...

A very fertile challenge Shay. I wish my muse was as fertile these days, but everything seems to have gone dry. Looking forward to seeing what you write, and best wishes to those making the April run.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I'm very fond of crows.

Susie Clevenger said...

I love crows. I went dark with this one. :)

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Loved the prompt, Shay ❤️ wrote a sonnet after a long time. Day 20! Phew!❤️

Maude Lynn said...

I love crows, too.

De Jackson said...

One of my favorite poem topics/muses. Thanks, Shay. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like I have my reading cut out

The Bizza said...

I had fun with this one. Not posting to Mr. Linky though. NaPoWriMo is kicking my ass and I haven't had time to read others as much as I'd like.

You can read mine here though. You don't have to comment, though I do hope you chuckle a bit at my expense.

https://mylibidowearsatuxedo.com/2017/04/20/day-20-midwatch-apology/